For publishers using Google's Dart for Publishers (Small Business) or "DFP" to manage online advertising on their site(s), adding Digtial Throttle is a #-step process:
1. Setup an "Advertiser" called "Digital Throttle"
1a. Setup Order: Click New Order
1b. Setup Order: Name Order and Add New Advertiser
1c. Setup Order: Set "Type" of Digital Throttle to "Ad Network"
1d. Setup Order: Optional Contact
1e. Setup Order: Final View
2a. Setup Line Item: Click New
2b. Setup Line Item: Setup Name & Size
1. It is best to setup a unique line item for every ad space you have setup with Digital Throttle.
2. KEY: don't use just one (1) Digital Throttle placement tag for the same ad size. For example, if you have setup four (4) 728x90 ad units for your site, setup the same number of Digital Throttle placements. This allows Digital Throttle to optimize best and also allows you to see reports and control pricing at the most targeted level.
2c. Setup Line Item: Enter Settings
(1) Always use "Network" as this ensures Digital Throttle is a lower-priority to your own directly-sold orders. With this settings, DFP will only send Digital Throttle impressions to monetize if NO direct orders from the publisher are available to serve
(2) Set the start date. You can set to immediately or some future date.
(3) Set "End Time" to unlimited. If you set an end date, you will have to manually adjust later and remember to do so. Setting this "unlimited" ensures you don't accidently turn off Digital Throttle tags!
(4) Goal: if you prefer Digital Throttle to receive 100% of your available (any impressions after your directly-sold campaigns), set to 100%. Otherwise, set an allocation, but be sure the sum of your "Network" orders equals 100%
(5) Rate: because the the revenue for each ad space will vary, leave "Rate" at 0. Digital Throttle reporting will provide the earnings you can use for reporting.
2e. Setup Line Item: Adjust Delivery
(1) Set to one or more (we're going to only have one (1) ad creative)
(2) Rotate to "Evenly"
2f. Setup Line Item: Assign Line Item to your "Ad Unit"
DFP will automatically filter the available ad units based on the placement size. Navigate to the correct placement and click "include".
Best Practices: as noted in step 2b, we strongly suggest you setup matching Digital Throttle placements for each ad unit used by DFP on your site. If you don't do this, when Digital Throttle optimizes campaigns, we will only see one placement to remove. As you know, some sections of your site and the corresponding ad spaces perform better than others. Using more placement tags allows us to optimize at the most granular level and increase your earnings.
2g. Setup Line Item: Click "Save and Upload Creatives"
3a. Add Creative: Select "Third Party Creative"
3b. Add Creative: Name and Paste Digital Throttle Placement Tag / Code
Be sure to check the URL we used in the &referrer=. If the actual URL is different, please send "email@example.com" a note. Okay to continue using the tag, BUT please change the URL to the correct spelling.
NOTE about referrer URL:
1. Never use the tag on any site that would use a different URL. In other words, if you add a new site, please request new tags through your account at https:portal.digitalthrottle.com
2. If your site uses a redirect, be sure the referrer= reflects the actual URL on the browser window
The referrer URL is a method of ensuring brand and site safety for advertisers. Please be sure to follow notes 1 and 2 or revenue will suffer!
3c. Add Creative: Update [CACHEBUSTER]
Cachebusters ensure the Digital Throttle placement tag renders a new ad on every new impression. Without a cachebuster, you run the risk of an ad placement tag "seen" as a simple image file by a user's computer. Meaning, the user will see the same ad every time.
When you add the DFP cachebuster, [CACHEBUSTER] will be replaced by %%CACHEBUSTER%%
3d. Add Creative: Replace Click Tag
The "Click Tag" allows the publisher to also record clicks on all ads passed through the Digital Throttle placement tags. This is optional, but many publishers like to see how their sites are performing.
1. When you add the DFP CLick Macro, [INSERT_CLICK_TAG] will be replaced by %%CLICK_URL_UNESC%% (BE SURE THE [ ] ARE ALSO REPLACED.
2. Change the pubclick= to pubclickenc=
So the click string is: &pubclickenc=%%CLICK_URL_UNESC%%
3e. Add Creative: The Final Modified Tag
Final Tag with the corerct DFP macros:
<!-- BEGIN JS TAG - MC USA ATV Main 728x90 < - DO NOT MODIFY -->
<!-- END TAG -->
Bes sure to click "SAVE" button at bottom
3f. Add Creative: Verify an Ad is Present
Make sure this is the correct size. Refresh page to see new ads. Use "Settings" to make any edits.
4. Final View on Successfully Created DFP Order (left side)
(1) Adding the Digital Throttle Placement ID # to the line item name will help with trouble-shooting and locating specific Digital Throttle placement tags/codes (see step 2b)
(2) The "type" of order should be "Network" (see step 2c)
(3) When you add the optional click macro, you're able to view the click rate on Digital Throttle placement tags (see step 3d)
4b. Final View on Successfully Created DFP Order (right side)
(1) Note the end date should be unlimited (see step 2c)
(2) The rate should be $0.00 (see step 2c)
(3) The goal can be 100% or less based on your allocation of impressions to Digital Throttle (see step 2c)